In the era of technology and innovative thinking, your best bet is taking the road less traveled to promote your business and attract new clients. Just because it’s the lesser known path doesn’t necessarily mean it’s too costly an option or too complicated to consider. Once you’re familiar with the basic steps you will quickly see success and appreciation from your clients and competitors alike. SMS Marketing strategy is a process that doesn’t drain your bank account but can be extremely successful with the right strategy and execution.
- The first and most important step when implementing an SMS marketing strategy is receiving consent from your potential customers. This includes an agreement to receive your messages. You may also need consent for one or more of the following:
- Data rates that may apply
- Frequency of sending SMS
- Messaging times
- Type of content contained in the message
- Option to opt out of receiving messages
Consent from your potential customers and existing customers is a rule that is best followed, or you risk the chance of irritating your customers and even losing them all together.
- Adding value in return for accepting the terms of text messaging is a great incentive. Giving discounts, coupons, or other interesting offers is a great way to attract new customers and referrals alike.
- It’s important to make sure you’re targeting the right customers. Once you understand the types of messages your customers like to receive; whether it be coupons and discounts, or company news and updates, you can categorize them accordingly.
- Keep your messages short and to the point. This gives your customers all the important information. Besides, no one has the time to read long messages anyway! 140 to 150 characters is a great target message length. Although you’re keeping it short, it’s important to be smart about your messaging. Avoid using too many abbreviations in your messages; they can affect your marketing strategy. On the same token, be cautious sending long messages as well. If you can’t fit everything you’re trying to say in one text message, it’s better to create a landing page. This gives you more space to tell your story, as well as include app downloads, coupons, and lead forms.
- When creating landing pages its essential to make them mobile compatible. If your landing page isn’t compatible with your customer’s mobile phone operating system, you may lose customers who have trouble viewing the page. Optimizing your landing pages for mobile is also important.
- Be strategic with the time in which you send the messages. Avoid sending untimely messages. It’s best to schedule your messages at regular intervals. Figure out the best time to be reaching your customer. Avoid irritating people with too many frequent messages. Timing is a very important factor in SMS marketing.
- Set S.M.A.R.T. goals to measure success. SMART stands for: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Tangible goals.
- Offer valuable insight into your products and services to pique the interest of your customers in reading your content.
Follow these simple steps, and you’re on your way to achieving business success!
Freddy is a Director of Marketing and Social Media for Skipio, the best SMS marketing & bulk SMS messaging company. His specialties include brand strategies, content marketing, and social media optimization. He loves creative writing and exploring new places around the world. I help gym owners earn more using personal cell phone automation in one-to-one coaching relationships with the masses.